The Committee for the Promotion of National Unity was set up in 1999. It operates under the aegis of the Office of the President and its main objective is to help foster the spirit of patriotism and consolidate social cohesiveness in our country. The Committee is so structured that it represents the civil society and, as such, has representatives from various ethnic origins involved in social work at national level.
Over the years, the Committee has organised regular activities to instil and nurture patriotic feelings among the youth. All these activities have been a great success and have involved thousands of participants, mostly the young Mauritians. A few examples are given below:
- Youth Rally The annual Youth Rally gives our youth the opportunity to be involved in the National Day Celebrations.
- Community Youth Award Project This project gives the young ones the opportunity to work on a sustainable project on education, environment, sports and leisure and service for the welfare of their community.
- La Chaîne de L’Amitié Mauritians holding hands and singing the National Anthem at the same time from North to South and from East to West of the island.
- Flag-raising ceremonies in various parts of the island
- Messages via SMS and Internet on national unity
- Interactive session with the President of the Republic of Mauritius where youth can exchange views on pertinent issues.
- Many conferences, talks and fora to celebrate
- International day for the Family
- International day for Youth
- International day for the Elderly
- International day for the Eradication of Poverty
- International day for Women
- International day for Teachers
- Live drawing and painting competitions for Primary School children to illustrate their dreams of a united Mauritius.
- Slogan Competition
- Essay Competition